Saturday, March 17, 2012

Our Common Ground



"Food is our common ground, a universal experience" 
~James Beard 

One of the questions I get asked about a lot is about the Middle Eastern food that I have eaten. One thing I love about traveling is that you can talk to anyone about food. I thought that I would share some pictures. And when I looked for quotes I found too many fun ones, so I decided to include them all :) Bon Apetit!

Codi and I trying Schwarma for the first time. It is like a Middle Eastern gyro.

“One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating”
~ Luciano Pavarotti

Herbal bread with a slice of cheese in the middle

“There is no love sincerer than the love of food”
~ George Bernard Shaw 

Pita bread with sesame seeds stuffed with mushrooms and cheese. 

“He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast in his heart”
~ C. S. Lewis

Piles of delicious desert. Pastries are a staple.

“You can never have enough garlic. With enough garlic, you can eat The New York Times”
~ Morley Safer

Spices!

“Tell me what you eat, I’ll tell you who you are”
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

A really big donut dipped in white chocolate from the Jewish quarter.

“I went to a restaurant that serves ‘breakfast at any time’. So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.”
~Steven Wright

Falafel!

“Dining with one’s friends and beloved family is certainly one of life’s primal and most innocent delights, one that is both soul-satisfying and eternal”
~Julia Child

This is a lentil soup that we had at every single meal in Turkey.


Some pretty traditional Turkish deserts
Chewy Ice Cream in Turkey! They give you a fork and knife to eat it. The green one is Pistachio flavor.
"I feel a recipe is only a theme, which an intelligent cook can play each time with a variation" 
~Madam Benoit 

These pics are from our Passover Seder meal. 




Haha....Grape Juice... Promise :)


"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" 
~Mark Twain 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! You may be enjoying that grape juice a bit too much though:) But I'm one to talk since i enjoyed a bite of a drunken rum cupcake today . . . Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. um. now i'm hungry.... let's make hummus, falafels, shawarma and pitas when we are both in the same country!!! :)

    ReplyDelete