Sunday, March 11, 2012

Negev


“It is in the Negev that the creativity and pioneer vigor of Israel shall be tested.” 
~David Ben-Gurion

The Negev is the desert area of Southern Israel. We took a day trip to see a few aspects of life there. These first photos are of a Bedouin settlement. The women in this settlement have come together to create a weaving business in the hopes of empowering the women and keeping aspects of their culture alive in this era.  


I never thought I would be able to say that I sat in a Bedouin tent and sipped  herbal tea and ate Baklava :) 

This tent was huge! This is made of woven strips that are pieced together. This is probably similar to the tents that Abraham or Lehi would have resided in. 

These are some views of Arad. It was a Canaanite city. 

The next few few pics are views of Avdat, a Nabatean city. The incense route ran  by the city, and helped this city flourish. 



These are some views of the Wilderness of Zin/Sin (It has been translated both ways). This is the setting for Exodus 16. The children of Israel are here for 40 years, and it is where they are first fed by quail and manna.
This overlook is also the site of the grave of David Ben Gurion, the first Prime Minister of Israel. 


2 comments:

  1. I love you!!! So glad you're having fun :) I can't wait to personally hear all about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding, I agree with Kirsten! And promise me we'll all of us girls be able to get together at least once sometime this summer?? :) Hope you're staying safe in Jerusalem, you never know what will happen! (you'll see what I mean soon :))

    ReplyDelete