Sunday, August 30, 2015

Oh, The Places You'll Go: The First Chapter of our Kansas Adventure

"Congratulations!
Today is your day. 
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!
~Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You'll Go!

I thought you all might like to know that Bronson and I made it safely to Kansas, and survived our first two weeks! We left Rexburg on the 12th, and made the trip over 3 days, a decision that my pregnant body thanked me for. We spent one night with my grandma, and the next with Bronson's grandparents, so that worked out well for us, and we had an otherwise uneventful trip! 
It was actually dark when we passed this sign. So we missed the jackalope thing. And the tornado. And the turkey. But I'm sure they were there.  
We made it in time to check into our apartment Friday night, and then spent the next couple of days creatively surviving without any kitchen supplies or furniture- a decision that my pregnant body was not so thankful for. We live in a darling little community of four-plex apartments on the North end of town. You can see some pictures here. I'll post some of the inside when there's more to see than piles of boxes.
This is the view from the balcony off our Master bedroom. I think I can get used to this :)  And I cannot wait for Fall colors!

My parents were wonderful enough to volunteer to pull our moving trailer, but waited for Ben to get  back from Photoshop world, so they were a few days behind us. On Sunday our ward welcomed us so warmly, and the Bishop had us over for dinner after church that night- we were especially grateful for a meal that didn't include cold cereal or sandwiches! My family arrived Monday night, and we unpacked the trailer that they hauled for us the next morning. They stayed with us long enough to get us settled in our apartment, check out Lawrence and campus, and then were on their way to tour Ben's mission in Minnesota. 
The University of Kansas. You can see maybe 1/5 of it in this picture- it's huge!!
Hawk Fest


Bronson had a few orientation meetings that first week, and then started school officially on Monday! He is taking 3 seminars, and teaches four sections of an undergrad class. He will stay plenty busy, but has been doing a great job of pacing himself, and thinks that he is really going to enjoy his time here. 
Bronson's office!

Off for his first day as a PhD student!
Last week I was able to go to the temple twice- once with a group of sisters who carpool there during the day while the kids are at school, and once with Bronson for ward temple night. I am so very grateful for the peace that I feel there, and that it gives me such a strong connection to my heavenly home. I was worried about being homesick, but I don't think that will be a problem, as long as I can always get to the temple. 
Yesterday we had the chance to attend a baptism for two new members of our ward. We always have investigators at church, so I have already been a part of more missionary work in the last two weeks than I probably have in my life to this point :). Then last night Bronson and I went to a carnival on campus, which was a lot of fun. They had a booth for caricatures, and the finished product has been cracking us up ever since! :) I was afraid my stomach wouldn't handle the rides very well, but I ate plenty of food!



What do you think? Accurate? :)
Today we were given callings, and then officially welcomed into the ward (in that order- I think they wanted to be sure we would do what they asked before they made it official!) Bronson is the new gospel doctrine teacher (a calling he has wanted the whole time I have known him) and I was asked to be the music coordinator (a calling I have always been grateful fell to others). So if you come across any beautiful arrangements, send them my way! We apparently have a professional harpist and organist, so I'll have to have some fun with them. 

We are grateful to be here, and feel so blessed with how smooth the transition has been thus far. We have certainly been watched over and guided to where we are. And we can't wait for the adventures to come!

3 comments:

  1. So excited for your adventure! Thanks for the update! I love you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you made it safe! You are going to have a wonderful time! Love you guys tons!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you're blogging again! I'm so happy that everything has come together so well for you, it's so stressful to move so far away. What a beautiful area of Kansas! Excited to hear more about your life and adventures there. :) Love ya!
    P.S. Those caricatures are awesome!

    ReplyDelete